The Mensa Scholarship Essay competition opened September 15, 2017 and will remain open until 11:59 p.m. Central Time, January 15, 2018.
The Mensa Foundation scholarship program is an essay contest that is open to all students who are enrolled in a U.S. college or university in the academic year following the award. Applicants write 550-word essays that describe their educational and/or career goals. Entries are judged solely on content – including grammar. No financial information needed or considered for awards. You do not have to be a member to be eligible for the public scholarships, and there also are 2 scholarships for a Mensa member and/or member’s dependent.
NO PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION CAN APPEAR IN THE ESSAY OR IT WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
There are 3 unrestricted National Awards, 2 unrestricted Local Awards, and 4 unrestricted Regional Awards.
In addition, there are restricted special category scholarships for:
- Graduate student planning a career in professional writing, teaching English grammar and/or writing.
- Study of aeronautical engineering or an aerospace field.
- A female returning to school after any absence of 7 or more years.
- Pursuing a degree in Natural Sciences or Mathematics.
- Study for an undergraduate liberal arts degree (BA or AA)
- Graduate study in history.
- Study in journalism.
- Pursuing a degree in the Art, including creative writing and journalism.
- Pursuing a degree in the Fine Arts.
- For a Veteran.
- For study in interpersonal communication, mediation or related study.
- Study in Fine Arts that include applied arts such as architecture, photography, ceramics and textiles.
- For an LGBT applicant.
Four scholarships were new last year:
- 4 Paws and a Tail ? $600.00
Restricted to graduate level studies or continuing education of an established Veterinarian
- Dr. Peter M. Kendall Science Scholarship ? $600.00
Restricted to the Natural Sciences including but not limited to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Geology, Environmental Science, Forestry, Pre?Med, Pre?Dent
- STEM Scholarship ? $2,000.00
For natural and applied science, technology, and math majors
- Carol Martinez Scholarship ? $2,500.00
Restricted to the field of information technology
To apply go to: www.mensafoundation.org/scholarships